Some Computer Maintenance Dos & Don’ts.
- Regularly run disk defragment, disk cleanup and scandisk on your hard drive.
- Use canned, compressed air to clean out your keyboard, mouse and computer CPU.
- Use the application’s uninstaller (or Windows’ Add/Remove Programs utility) to remove programs.
- Regularly clean up the contents of your temporary Internet files.
- Check to be sure that you have up-to-date security patches from Microsoft.
- Periodically use your virus checker and make sure your virus definitions up to date.
- Use water or harsh cleaners, especially on monitor screens.
- Use Windows Explorer (or other such tools) to remove programs by deleting files and folders.
- Shut down your computer by pushing the power button.
- Edit the Registry yourself unless you’re 100% sure that you know what you’re doing.